Communications & Creative Services Manager: Los Angeles
The Trevor Project
Job Title: Communications and Creative Services Manager
Location: Los Angeles or New York
Reports to: Vice President of Marketing and Strategic Engagement
FLSA Status: Exempt
Who We're Looking For: A General Summary:
Under the supervision of the Vice President of Marketing & Strategic Engagement, the Communications & Creative Services Manager is part of the team responsible for forwarding Trevor's mission and expanding the public profile of the organization through various marketing strategies. You will work in a busy, high-energy environment and join a team of creative professionals. This person takes an active role in future planning and idea generation. You love making systems that improve situations, workflows, and results. You are respectfully tough, creatively encouraging, and the type of person people never want to disappoint. The incumbent will help to serve as a brand steward, responsible for taking concepts from start to consumer-facing, highlighting the message and vision of the organization across all materials—print, online, and audio/video while enforcing organizational brand and communications quality control measures. You are responsible for the strategic project management of all marketing initiatives throughout the organization, both within the Marketing Department and for projects that are brought forward by the development/advancement, programs, education, advocacy, community engagement,and recruitment departments. The person in this position has a keen eye for integrated communications strategies across all programs. You'll plan resources against the marketing calendar, attend project kickoff meetings, champion the completion of intake creative briefs, and execute internal requests ensuring on-target, on-time, and on-brand delivery of collateral. The incumbent will be responsible for managing the Marketing Department's project calendar, meeting with Trevor Project teams, developing a RACI chart for projects, and setting and communicating realistic project timelines and deadlines. Along the way, you'll help streamline processes and define best practices. You will also have primary responsibility for internal photography projects and expanding our messaging to include consistent video production of various lengths for a variety of purposes as well as lead the repackaging of existing video assets. You will manage the organization's YouTube presence. You are a strategic thinker, a creative problem solver, an outstanding project manager, and an accomplished multi-task professional who is able to prioritize and execute given limited staff resources.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Works closely with the Vice President of Marketing to create and implement the organization's marketing and communications strategies;
• Work with team members to ensure proper seeping of client work, including articulation of final deliverables; develop contingency plans as needed, and fiercely protect timelines and vocalize challenges/opportunities;
• Field incoming project requests, scope projects, determine project goals, define deliverables and tasks, conduct background research, maintain and communicate project calendar, and flag projects with potential low ROI;
• Serve as lead for organization photography and video production and timely and appropriate filing and archiving of assets;
• Maintain an awareness of public issues and current events relevant to The Trevor Project's mission and pitch related Trevor-specific video ideas;
• Help to develop, implement and manage marketing, communications/PR and brand performance measurements; and drive qualitative and quantitative reporting metrics, analysis, and ROI that can demonstrate success against desired and stated outcomes;
• Experiment with and explore new tools and technologies to modernize and make content creation and distribution more efficient;
• Serve as the organization's brand steward, developing and upholding brand standards and messaging on an ongoing basis;
• Develop and execute marketing and outreach initiatives with a focus on expanding our messaging via video. Concept, storyboard production, video production, and editing skills for a variety of purposes from general mission awareness, to educational materials, Public Service Announcement and visual interpretations of press releases/blogs (similar to Mic videos)
• In collaboration with the Development team, work to ensure that all fundraising elements including major events and corporate partnerships adhere to brand, communications, and marketing guidelines.
• Participate in planning and implementation of materials for celebrity-driven, high-profile public relations efforts related to TrevorLIVE, a twice annual red carpet fundraising event in New York and Los Angeles
• Prepare regular reports to senior staff, board of directors, board committees and other parties as needed
• Be part of a collaborative environment that encourages a respectful exchange of ideas across teams
• Regularly update and maintain the marketing section of the organization's new staff onboarding orientation materials
• Supervise and advise on the creation of all merchandise and promo items produced with a Trevor logo
• Build and maintain strategic relationships with key vendors; seek pro bono support where possible
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Bachelor's degree required in Public Relations & Marketing or related field and a minimum of two to four years marketing/PR experience;
• Experience in a non-profit/mission driven organization strongly desired. Experience in a youth-serving organization preferred.
• Excellent oral and interpersonal communications skills and demonstrated level of comfort with public speaking;
• Experience working in a high volume marketing department;
• A track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with and among a diverse group of constituents;
• Experience in the creative process and ability to provide constructive feedback and direction;
• Ability to motivate and work within a team to accomplish project goals;
• Knowledge of communications best practices and an innovative outlook on how to best reach our core audiences;
• Demonstrated experience in storyboard creation, video production, and editing software;
• Intermediate to advanced experience within the Adobe Creative Suite; Mail Chimp-like email distribution platforms; Salesforce Marketing Cloud experience, basic WordPress and HTML experience a definite plus
• Ability to offer knowledgeable edits and recommendations for a wide variety of communications collateral;
• Self-starter who takes initiative and is able to work independently;
• Strong planning, project management,and organizational skills with the ability to lead multiple activities while maintaining a demonstrated commitment to meeting high-quality standards;
• Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously while still meeting deadlines and accomplishing goals; and the ability to professionally communicate the need to renegotiate deadlines based on unexpected workloads;
• A high level of professional ethics and judgement, a friendly and outgoing personality, enthusiasm, sense of humor, and dedication to teamwork are required;
• Strong visual and graphic design acuity;
• Computer literacy in both PC and MAC platforms;
• Demonstrated experience working in a multicultural environment where commitment to diversity based on race, ethnic origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, and physical ability is an important institutional value;
• Strong commitment to The Trevor Project mission;
• Familiarity with the general messaging standards adhered to within the LGBTQ community and/or the mental health and suicide prevention sector is preferred but not required.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Currently: intern, volunteer or vendor only
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 40 pounds. The vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid outside conditions. The noise level in the environment is moderate. The employee is required to work some Saturdays, Sundays and evenings.
Note: “The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.”
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to: Rex@TransCanWork.org (Subject Trevor Communications & Creative Job)